As a Baton Rouge area newborn photographer and mother of three, I know that packing for the hospital can be stressful. You certainly don’t want to forget anything important and have to send someone home to get it. But there are things that you really don’t need. You certainly don’t want to take up space packing unnecessary things. So I put together a list of stuff you won’t need at the hospital when you have a baby. Be sure to read through to the end to get my free hospital check list of things you do need to bring.
- Diapers – The hospital provides diapers and wipes. No need to waste precious space bringing them with you. But don’t worry, once you get home you’ll always have diapers and wipes at you side since newborns go through 10-12 diapers a day.
- Formula or Bottles – If you are formula feeding, you don’t need to bring formula or bottles with you. The hospital provides this for you while you’re there.
- Toys – Newborns are pretty much spending their time eating, sleeping, and adjusting to the outside world. They aren’t too interested in any toys just yet. Save that space for more important things.
- Pre-pregnancy Clothes – Even if you’re one of those people who is back to the same size right after having a baby, you’ll still be more comfortable in stretchy or looser clothing than what you wore before you got pregnant.
- Anything White – This is pretty much my life post kids, but white right after a baby results in lots of extra laundry. Postpartum bleeding is no joke. I don’t know about you, but I’m not about extra laundry with a newborn. Actually, I’m not about extra laundry in any situation.
So now that I’ve given you a list of things not to bring with you to the hospital, I thought I’d give you a free hospital checklist so that you can be ready to go with everything to go once the time comes.