As a Baton Rouge area newborn photographer and mother of three, I’ve gone through my fair share of baby gear. I’m one of those people who wants to try the new interesting things in baby gear. Plus, I learned a lot about what I liked between each baby. I thought I’d put together a list of my favorite newborn essentials.
1. Rock ’n Play – When my oldest was a few months old I found the rock n play. I ended up using the rock n play with both my younger children from the birth until they were too big for it. I mostly used it for naps during the day. It’s easy to move and it’s lightweight. Both of those are important right after you give birth and you can’t lift too much.
2. Halo SleepSack Swaddle – Confession time. Before I became a newborn photographer I was a terrible baby swaddler. I couldn’t wrap a baby without them somehow getting out to save my life. Fortunately, I’m much much better at it now. The Halo SleepSack Swaddle really saved me back then. The zipper at the bottom made middle of the night diaper changes easy and none of my little escape artists could get out of it.
3. Summer Infant Deluxe Baby Bather – I found this one with my second child. I had two different baby bathers before this one. This bather was definitely was my favorite. It folds up easily and the baby doesn’t slide around in it. I had the sliding problem with my other bathers.
4. Lillebaby Carrier – I loved to babywear when my kids were newborns and infants. I like this carrier because it works well for average sized newborns as well as growing to fit older babies. Some other carriers need special inserts for newborns, but not this one. It always felt secure when I wore it and my kids were comfy in it.
5. The Boppy Nursing Pillow– This is pretty much on every most have list, and rightly so. My boppy and I were pretty inseparable when my kids were newborns. It’s great for breastfeeding in the beginning, but even after that it’s works well for tummy time.
So there you have my top 5 newborn essentials. I hope you find them useful.